Wednesday, August 20, 2008

MY SUMMER OF LOVE





The summer of '69. I had just turned fifteen.
.
In July my family drove from northern New York to Coeur 'd Alene, Idaho to pack up my Grandfather's house on his Bing Cherry Farm. He was in a nursing home & had sold the old farm were my mther & I used to climb the trees & eat the cheeries until we had our fill. We also set up a sign that year, "PICK YOUR OWN CHEERIES-25 CENTS A QRT".
.
Boys were noticing me for the first time.
.
Neil Armstrong walked on the moon while we were in Coeur d'Alene-With my last name being Armstrong, at last I was never to be asked again if I was related to Louis Armstrong. Not that that's a bad thing, there just wasn't a minor resemblance to this blonde, blue eyed girl.
.
And the summer of '69 I went my first Big Adventure HUGE. We had been back from Coeur d'Alene for a week or so. My father worked 3rd shift and went to work at 10:30 pm, Sunday thru Thursdays. My mother, a nurse, worked 2nd shift and didn't get home until almost midnight. By this time I tried to stat away from the house as much as possible. Didn't get hurt if I stayed out of the way.
.
There was a concert that weekend & I knew if I left Thursday evening. Mom would think my father knew where I was. And father would think my mother knew where I was. Or they just wouldn't notice.
.
Yes, I was 15. Yes, I hitchhiked to Bethel, NY ~ 100 miles away with nothing but a 2 Man pup tent rolled up in a blanket. And a water bottle.
Why? The Woodstock Concert.
.
I started out Thursday evening and my plan was to get there early to find a camping spot. I did & met up with some friends. Twenty four hours later, 300,000 people were there & there was no going home. Traffic on the thruway was standing room only and I was stuck. People were walking in & later we found out the number of people was closer to 400-500,000. It was a sea of people. It an ocean of people. It was a small country of people. *Hehee ~ Stoner/Hippie people
.
.
I had pitched my tent stage left in a wooded area on the hill. it wasn't raining yet. I just like out of the way places. Good thing I picked the hill, I didn't get mudded up. And it did rain. Heard great music and met lots of musicians, smoked a lot of pot and hash. Went hungry and used "the woods" for a few days. AND it was so worth it!
.
I was there from when Ritchie Havens started playing Friday evening to after Jimi Hendrix played Monday morning. What a weekend with Folk, Blues & Psychedelic Rock. Those of us that hung on to the last note hung around a while hoping for just one more "surprise".
.
Maybe the Beatles? Maybe the Stones?
.
I read that the Beatles didn't come because John Lennon set a stipulation that Yoko Ono's band also had to be on the bill. And the Stones I think we told that not very many people would be there and it would be a bad career move. HA!!
Give me Janis Joplin. Mountain, CCR, Grateful Dead, Joan Baez, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Winter, Blood, Sweat and Tears and JIMI!
.
.
It was late Monday afternoon when I packed up & went home. My plan worked....Ma and Pa Armstrong never missed me.
.
AND it was....
.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wild thing you!

I love Coeur d Alene!  One of my favorite places ever.

Anonymous said...

WOW!  Confessions of a wild child...  (smiling)  What a blast you must have had.  My parents would have killed me dead if I went missing for 3 days.  Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

OMG, I don't have time right now....but remind me to tell you about Dayna's Woodstock, Summer '08.......

love ya,
:) Carol

Anonymous said...

As if I needed another reason to hate Yoko!!  grrrrr


xxxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminiscence.   DB

Anonymous said...

Gee, the summer of 69, I was 1 year old! LOL
Sounds like it was a good summer for you! I would have loved to have gone to Woodstock.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Man looks are deceiving..you just don't look like you are the type to take off without your parents knowing where you were and hike 100 miles from home and be a part of that madness they called woodstock!!!
True it was safer for kids back then but some bad people were out there especially drugged out people.
You are so lucky not to have been caught,I would have been scared shitless the whole time and just know that hell waited for me the minute I walked in the door.
you were sure lucky..............

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooo jealous.  I was also 15 in "69.  My parents absolutely refused to permit me to go to Woodstock:(  There was aboslutely no way I could get away with, although I tried...lol.  Wow, what an experience, hunh?  HUGS Chris

Anonymous said...

How cool!!!  I wish I could have been there with you ~ what an experience.  My mom was at Woodstock too, maybe you two crossed paths (not that either of you would remember, tee hee)
xxx
Lisa